Inspiration

Do you remember George Bailey?  He was that everyday man in the classic Christmas movie;  It’s A Wonderful Life.  Poor George was so busy living and giving, working and helping, that he never stopped to take credit for or even realize all the good he had done.  We have all know a few George Baileys, who touched our lives and the lives of countless others.  I would say that they go about their work quietly, but of course to them it isn’t work.  It is simply how they live their lives and they can’t really imagine doing less than what they do to help others.  They are productive and positive.  The type of person I’m talking about also refrains from making us feel guilty for our own lack of giving.  You see, for these types, giving is not a competition.  They aren’t boastful, doing most of their good backstage.

I believe that God does his work through us and especially relies on the George Baileys of the world for the bulk of this labor. Often we just aren’t up to the task or feel we don’t have much to offer.  Many of us just frankly aren’t as energetic or excited about things, especially as we get older.  I suspect that we have all experienced a bitter, negative, elderly relative or neighbor.  And, we might have wondered if that was what it was like to be old.  So, today my story is about a couple that, despite advanced age and all the difficulties that brings, continue to contribute to the world.  They model for me a positive vision of old age, showing me that there is no retirement from service to others.

My great uncle, Kenneth Riley, is 96 years old.  He doesn’t drive anymore and suffers from the pain of arthritis.  But, despite these obstacles, each Friday Uncle Kenny delivers Meals on Wheels to the housebound and elderly in his community.  He’s been doing this for years and because he can’t drive, now accomplishes this task with the help of his daughter, Sandi, who drives him on these weekly rounds.  There seems to be no feeling of “I’m too old for this and I’ve done my part.” in Uncle Kenny’s picture of himself.  Even at age 48, I must confess, that I’ve occasionally had the feeling that I’d already done my part volunteering.  But, now I can’t get that vision of Uncle Kenny, at age 96, delivering those meals, out of my head.  Uncle Kenny’s actions help me to realize that for giving, there is no work order, which, once filled, satisfies our lifetime requirement.

Kenny’s wife, my great aunt Grace is 94 and she also does volunteer work and sings with the Louisville Silver Notes.  This choir is 50 members strong and has about 40 performances a year in the Louisville area.  Aunt Grace has kept me in her circle of care and concern since my parents died when I was a young adult, despite the fact that our families didn’t see a lot of each other when I was growing up.  It took love and effort for her to keep that thread of connection with me, a great niece that she hadn’t seen in years, but she persevered, and for that I am most grateful. 

This year Uncle Kenny and Aunt Grace celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary.  Their lives and service illustrate to me that there are no limitations on our potential for giving and contributing.   They inspire me to be better and do more.  When I visited their home a couple of years ago I was awed by the love and affection that emanated from them both.  I imagine that many have felt the power of their love and concern.  I would also venture to guess that, Kenny and Grace are completely unaware of the many lives, like mine, that they have touched and altered.  I suspect that their angel wings have already been earned and are waiting for them in heaven, but right now God needs them here on earth to do his work.

Merry Christmas 

-Mary

2011 Update-- Uncle Kenny turned 99 last September.  He's had some health set backs and surgery to replace a broken hip, but after several months of recovery in a convalescent home he's now back home with Grace who turned 97 in August.

2015 Update- Uncle Kenny died at age 102 last year.  Aunt Grace died this week at age 102.  May these sweet souls rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment