Genealogy……..A well polished look at history?

I’m sure you have noticed that most genealogies are what I would call a well-polished look at history.  Family historians and family stories usually leave out the nitty-gritty tales of our ancestors’ misdeeds.  It’s too bad because I think these might be some of the most interesting stories.

I am always searching for details that tell me more about who my ancestors were.  Some scrap of personal information that goes beyond names and dates.  The rare personal description, is almost always a glowing one, with faults or negative personality traits left unmentioned.  Well, of course, that would be the case!  We aren’t so cruel a people as to normally put in print the worst characteristics of our friends, neighbors, and relatives.

I like this description of a GGGG grandmother, Adeline B. Spotswood Goodall:
"They (Peter and Adaline) gave many private dancing parties, and other elegant entertainments.  Mrs. Goodall was taught dancing in Virginia when reels, jigs and contra dances were fashionable and before cotillions and round dances were introduced.  She was a graceful and finished dancer, and exceedingly fond of the amusement." 

I  picture her, young and full of life, dancing, partying and having a wonderful time.  She married when she was only 15, and by the time she was 23 she had four children.  When Adeline was 25, her husband Peter died.   But, before this tragedy, I imagine them throwing their dancing parties in little Glasgow, Kentucky and living life, while it lasted, to the fullest.

For the bad stuff we usually have to dig a bit deeper.  I know there are many stories of darker times in the lives of my ancestors.  As I said, history forgets them and frankly they don’t look so good on those illustrious DAR applications.  We know they are there, just as we know those glowing “Family Christmas Letters” that arrive during the holidays leave out just as much as they proudly include.  Am I the only one who reads those “Family Christmas Resumes” and thinks “why isn’t my life so perfect and full of accomplishments?”

One of my ancestors “near do wells” was Adeline’s grandfather Fielding Lewis Jr. (1751—1803).  He was the nephew and godson of George Washington.  Yes, the president.  Ok… so I’m bragging a bit there but although I can say I am related to “Uncle George”, I must also confess that it is through his most immature and irresponsible nephew.    Fielding was the oldest son of George’s sister Betty Washington and her husband Fielding Lewis, Sr.  

Fielding Jr. looks to have lived a life that focused on his pleasures rather than his contributions.  Maybe he was spoiled.  Maybe he was just a party boy by nature.  The historic records tell us bits about his life that paints a picture of someone, who despite connections and privileges, had a hard time finding and keeping his way in the world.

In 1769, when he was 17 years old, Fielding Jr. married Nancy Ann Alexander.  According to some sources she was only 13 at the time.  His father appears to have given him control of a 1000-acre farm in Frederick Co., Virginia, sometime after his marriage.  But, four years after his marriage, it is recorded that he began to sell some of his possessions.  He did serve in the Virginia militia some during the Revolutionary War, so we must admire him for that contribution. 

It appears that Fielding was always in debt.  His father wrote him in 1779, “It is the business of the debtor to carry the money to the creditor… come down as soon as your business will permit and get money from me to discharge what you are owing.”  Or, in other words, pay your bills son!   In a letter to him dated 1784, his Uncle George Washington writes, “You very much mistake my circumstances when you suppose me in a condition to advance money.”   Ahh.. the irresponsible relative always asking for money!!  And Uncle George adds this bit of advice, “I have heard with pleasure that you are industrious. Convince people by your mode of living that you are sober and frugal also; and I persuade myself your creditors will grant you every indulgence they can.”  I’m guessing that there was some doubt to his sobriety and frugality.

Fielding Jr.’s wife died in 1788, leaving several young children.  That same year he apparently funded a lavish wedding for his eldest daughter, Elizabeth (my ancestor).  Then, the following year he married Elizabeth Dade, with whom he had two additional children.  By 1790, when he was 39 years old, records show that Fielding had sold or forfeited all his land and personal property.  He sold much of his “worldly goods” to his half brother John.  One of his many creditors sued him, and then there was a court hearing that resulted in him being sent to the debtors prison in Winchester, Virginia.  We don’t know how long he stayed in prison, but records of his mother, Betty Washington Lewis (sister of President George), indicate that she took care of raising some of his younger children from his first marriage and also was sending him money for the care of children that he still had in his household.  

At some point we know that Fielding Jr. moved to Fairfax County, Virginia and we must hope that perhaps he had grown up a bit and become more responsible, as I've found no records of problems with debt after that point.  We also have no record of what he did to support himself after the move to Fairfax County.  When his uncle George died in 1800 he received one of 23 shares of the estate.   Fielding Lewis Jr. died in 1803 at the age of 52.

Now, if that isn’t juicy enough for you, you might like the version of this story told by L. Myers.  He claims that Fielding Jr. and his young wife Nancy Ann actually had an illegitimate child before or soon after their marriage.  Larry tells me that this child was named Alexander Lewis and was taken to be raised by Native American relatives of the family.  Explaining who those Native American relatives are is another elaborate story that seems to have its root in Mr. Myers imagination.   But, I do have an open mind, so I asked Mr. Myers for his sources.  He sent me a brief list, but frankly I’m not sure they would prove anything much, and I suspect that the story is more fantasy than fact.  I’m still curious as to how he put this wild idea together so I’m being polite in my correspondence with him.  Hopefully he won’t happen upon this blog and call my bluff. 

-Mary  

No comments:

Post a Comment